29 May 2009

The Gown Is Finished!

For Moira's Baptism (photos of the event to follow), I wanted to make a gown--really for all of my children to wear. I had heard of a tradition of making you child's baptismal gown out of your wedding gown material.  Since I couldn't bear to cut up my wedding dress, I decided instead to incorporate the material that I used for the sash that went around my wedding dress to make a sash that my daughter(s) could wear on the day of their baptisms.  
So that we could also incorporate something of Ben into the gown, we chose to use the slip worn not only by Ben, but also several generations before him, under the family baptismal gown. Here is a picture of the slip:

And the gown that I made:




A very special thanks goes out to my friend, Susan, who gifted me with the beautiful, embroidered fabric for the gown, and who helped me to decipher the clear-as-mud pattern directions so that I could know what to do when I was sewing!
Also, special thanks to my mom for helping me pin and sew the sleeves, and to Ben's mom, Nancy, for the long hours of brainstorming on how to get the slip, the sash and the gown to all come together.  Finally, thank you to Granny Writt: legend has it that you didn't know how to sew at all, but you managed to hand-stitch not only this gorgeous slip that we used, but also the beautiful family baptismal gown.
 I could not have done it without so much help, ladies!


3 comments:

Kaele said...

That is really beautiful Emily!

Rachel said...

Emily what a beautiful baptismal gown!!!!

Scott and Suzanne said...

Beautiful! Since my mom made my gown, we just used the leftover material instead of cutting it up. Even when the twins came, she found a few more scraps to put together another one. It wasn't quite as full as the original, but it worked out. Oh, and your eyes are freaky! I've definitely heard of that happening before, especially the broken blood vessels. :)